Friday, February 8, 2013

A Big Bogota Surprise

Okay, I know I'm not alone here, so I will just go ahead and admit it.... I feel buried under a tidal wave of guilt and hesitation when I consider leaving Brad at home with the kids for any real length of time. Not that he can't handle it - he repeatedly assures me that he is completely capable of caring for (and actually treating any possible medical emergency for) OUR children... It's just that I know that the routine is harder when it's only one of us, and if I leave for my own enjoyment, that means he has to pull my slack, and I dont like doing that to him. I'd rather just stay with the team most of the time. I'm sure I'm not the only mom in the world who has felt this way - no shame. 

So, naturally, when Nikki called me at the beginning of January and asked me when I was going to visit and could I come soon, and could I come with her best friend in 3 weeks, I was all "I don't know... I don't think I can... (I really cannot fathom leaving my kids and new baby at home while i LEAVE THE COUNTRY)... Way too many complications... sorry, sis, don't think it's gonna work right now... I'll think about it." 

Then my friend came over and told me I should really think hard about going. A few times. And she would help with my kids while I was gone.  Then Brad said I should go, and he didn't know why I hadn't been yet in the first place. So, I started feeling brave, and I called her friend, and I bought a ticket. But I didn't tell Nikki :)

Because that's the lens I look through most of the time.. Is there any POSSIBLE way to turn whatever it is I am doing into a surprise? That's the way I take...(Surprise! I bought you a new toothbrush... Surprise! here is the new shirt you asked me to buy for you... I'm sure it gets annoying.)

Thankfully, I don't think this surprise was one of the annoying ones :) I had planned to just show up at the airport with Nikki's friend, but sadly, she had to cancel at the last minute. I called Nikki to check on her because I knew she was disappointed, and then I told her to check her email where she found, SURPRISE!, a copy of my itinerary, and she was all, "What is this? Whaaaat??!! I'm So EXCITED!" And it was still a great surprise. And she would be there at the airport, which was the most important thing. Because she speaks Spanish. And I don't :)

So here's Nikki at the airport. This was the pic I took while I was trying to get my luggage and fumble through the hand motions of explaining to airport staff that I left my Ipad on the plane. Which is an awesome story to write down. Tomorrow :)



Since I have so much to remember about this trip, I'm spreading it out over a few days/ posts. So, stay tuned... More surprises to come ... Annoying, I know :)



No comments: