Sunday, July 1, 2012

It's A Girl!!

The Madden family is THRILLED to announce the arrival of our new baby girl! Brooke Nicole Madden was born on Thursday, June 21, 2012, at 12:19 pm. She weighed 8 lbs 3 oz and was 20 1/4 inches long. 

Here's the story!

Some people may remember that I was scheduled to have a c-section on June 26, which would have been about a week before my actual due date, July 4. I ended up being scheduled for surgery early because of a problem with my platelets. They bottomed out when I was pregnant with Beckham, and after monitoring them this time, it was clear the numbers were headed for a repeat. I went in to check my platelet levels on Thursday, the 21st, and the doctor told me to head to the hospital in an hour for surgery. I was super excited. 

Brad and I stopped at the Corner Bakery for a meal for him since it would be a crazy morning, and he wouldn't likely get anything to eat for a while. Brad took this picture of me while we were chatting about all of the things that were about to change.
38 wks, 1 day
In Pre-Op - still excited!!
In our first two pregnancies, we found out boy or girl. This time, we decided to have a surprise, and for me, this was the way to go! It was so exciting to be in that OR, just waiting and guessing what it was going to be. Brad peeked over the curtain, and then my doctor announced, "It's a girl!" I am smiling just typing this...  It was so fun, and I got big girly tears while I watched them bring her around for me to see. 



 Brooke weighed 8 lbs, 3 oz, which is exactly what Jane Bradley weighed - only Brooke was a born a week earlier than JB. So, I'm guessing that Brooke would have outweighed both of her siblings, had she been given the chance to stay in the game a little longer...

Our family and friends waited outside in the hallway for Brad to come out and settle the guesses of what we were having. When he carried her out to the family and announced her name, everyone cheered. My sisters were so great - one caught the whole thing on video while the other snapped photos and cried... 

Brooke Nicole is a family name - Brooke is my maiden middle name, and Nicole was my sister's. Nicole is where "Nikki" comes from. 

B and JB have done a great job welcoming the baby home. At first, B was a little hesitant as to what exactly that was that Daddy was carrying. He knew that whatever was on the other side of that glass made him very nervous...



Both kids have adjusted well so far. No major reverting backwards or temper tantrums. Everyone knock on wood, please :) It's a serious blessing!


We did have one little incident on the first night. Beckham got a little sick and couldn't come back up to the hospital to see the baby. We think it was just a nervous stomach with the addition of alot of junk food. Anyway, he stayed home with Grandaddy, and Nanny brought JB up to see her sister. Of course, she held her like a little mommy-pro. 


This day was full of little moments that I never want to forget. I love how sharing the day with Jane Bradley and Beckham made it even more special!


More of the story to come! And it won't take 2 weeks, because I've already written it!

No comments: