Saturday, February 9, 2013

The One About The Ipad...


There are two kinds of people - some are plane talkers, and some are not. I am a plane talker, for sure. I love sitting next to a stranger and learning all I can before we land again, and that's it - the relationship is over, and we start our lives again right where we left off. I've met all sorts of people on past flights - and this one was no different. On the first flight I met a movie producer from Virginia who made documentaries about labor unions. On the second leg, the person didn't speak much English, which may have been their luck :)

I carried my carry-on off of the plane and followed the other passengers through customs where the officer spoke English and everything went smoothly. As soon as they stamped my passport, I started to turn the corner to get to baggage claim, and I realized something was off. I looked at my carry-on, and I noticed that my bag was unzipped. Then I knew. I had left my Ipad on the plane. At first, I thought, well, I guess that's what I get, but then I decided to at least try to get it back. My sister had said that the people in customs speak English, so I tried to tell the security guard next to me what had happened. Problem was, he did NOT speak English. The next passenger to walk by happened to notice what was going on, and the security guard asked him to translate. After explaining, the security guard told me I could try to go back to the plane, BUT I had to leave my suitcase with him. Well, sounds simple enough, but really, I was  reeling from the issue that I didn't know this guy, and I was in a foreign country, and I didn't want to lose my bag. But then I realized that it would cost me more to replace my Ipad than everything in my carry-on, so I decided to chance it. 

I tried to go back, but the customs people stopped me and said I had to find the Delta representative downstairs in the baggage claim so that they could radio the plane.  Funny thing was, when I went back to the security guard, he was gone. Another security guard was there with my bag, and he let me just walk up and take it.  Hmm... 

Heading down to baggage claim, I didn't see anyone from Delta. Then I ran into the guys that translated for me earlier, who asked if I found my Ipad. I updated them and told them that I was still looking, and they helped me find the Delta representative who started working on it. Meanwhile, the two guys who helped me wanted to know what I was doing in Colombia. I wasn't planning to tell them any personal details, because, you know I was not a naive lady traveller who thought everyone in the world was good or anything. 

So I said I was in town visiting my sister. Then they wanted to know if she was studying in Colombia. I said no. Then they wanted to know why else she would be in Colombia? I said she moved here with her family. Well, why? Did she marry a Colombian? Flashes of the Taken movie were standing out in my mind at this point, and Liam Neeson was nowhere in sight. I decided to tell them she was a missionary. 

Instantly, the guys said, "Christian?" I said yes. Then they cheered, "We're Christians!!" It was SUCH  major relief, and I was so happy to hear them say that! At that moment, the delta representative told me they had found my ipad, and I should wait here. I got my luggage, and I saw Nikki through the glass barrier. The lady brought my ipad, and I left happier than before. 

And then I met up with this girl, who I hadn't seen since September! 



So that was the rest of the story of the way to Bogota. More to come!

No comments: