Sunday, February 19, 2012

special birthday weekend and banana week.

We had a special weekend. Saturday, we piled into the car and drove to the big, wide, Mississippi Delta. My great-grandmother lives there, and her family from near and far met to celebrate her 99th birthday. She truly is an amazing woman! She knows everything that's going on with everyone, and she love LOVES a big party... Maybe I come by it naturally? 


Her name is Amelia Beckham - this is where Beckham got the Beckham. Here she is with me as a baby - isn't she beautiful?


Amelia Beckham, aka- Maw-Maw, and me
Here are some shots from her party. There was a special feeling in the air on Saturday. We were doing something special, and we were part of a special group. I want my children to have the same appreciation for family that we partygoers felt this weekend. 


Fast Forward 30 years!
Janie, Beth, and little Marguerite
Maw-Maw getting an update from a certain great-grandson-in-law

Nanny and Ame
Jane Bradley made her great-great Grandmother this picture for her birthday. I love the wheels on her neon green wheelchair. She also put her in a red dress because she thought it would be her favorite. Seriously, sometimes I just can't get enough of this girl...

Jane Bradley's birthday gift - a drawing of herself with her great-great-grandmother

This next photo I love because it shows 5 generations! I once was the youngest in a five-generation photo, and now JB will carry on the tradition.


From left: Amelia Beckham, Uncle Buck Beckham,
Clare Luke (my grandmother), Jane Bradley, Me, Nanny (my mom) 
After the road trip, the rest of the weekend was calm with various moments of silly and chaotic attempts to organize (seriously, this process makes me feel like I need to channel someone else for this - it is me overriding every normal part of my personality trying to produce some type of order... very tough).


I caught a sweet moment - Jane Bradley helping her favorite super-hero pull some stickers out of a sticker book. Soak it up, Lacey. That's what I keep telling myself...

Super-hero's need a little help sometimes too...

Jane Bradley borrows a few of Beckham's stickers to scare her mom...

The weekend ended with normal baths and a little time-killing before bed. Brad adds the silly to the normal routines, and lets the kids play peek-a-boo with themselves in the mirror. Dear Jane Bradley, marry a guy who adds some silly to the vanilla in life. It makes life so much sweeter...



On the way out of the day, we took some pictures to make a photo-update of the newest Madden. According to the baby-gurus on the internet, he or she is as big as a banana - I decided to have a little fun with it so the kids could get the idea... They just wanted to eat them :)







No comments: